Give your makeup brushes an initial wash before you start using it the first time.
This just helps to ensure your brushes are free of bacteria or dirt before dipping it into your products and touching your face. You don't want any contamination in your products and your face.
How to clean your makeup brushes.
There are several products you can use to keep your brushes clean and in good shape.
- 99% Alcohol (deep cleans and loosens built up product)
- 70% Alcohol (disinfects)
- Mild soap / shampoo and water
- Sephora Solid Brush Cleaner (cleans and nourishes)
- Cinema Secrets Brush Cleaner (for quick clean between usage)
For a deep clean to ensure your brushes are completely free of bacteria & built up product:
- Pour 99% alcohol in a small glass and 70% alcohol in another small glass.
- Dip your brush into the 99% alcohol to loosen up the built up product and wipe your brush on a paper towel. Repeat until there is almost completely no colour residue.
- Dip your brush into the 70% alcohol for 10 seconds to disinfect.
- Wash with mild soap / shampoo or Sephora Solid Brush Cleaner and water. Wipe brush hairs back and forth motion on your hand to clean the brush (ensure the brush hairs are always facing downwards so that you don't get water into the ferrel).
- Use a towel or paper towel to squeeze the brush dry and reshape.
- Lay out a clean towel or paper towel and let your brush dry flat on top. Again, ensure that the brush hairs do not face upwards so that the water doesn't loosen the glue in the ferrel; otherwise, the brush hair will come loose.
Bonus! Condition your makeup brushes once a month with hair conditioner.
If you condition your brushes, your brushes will stay nice and soft and the hair will not become brittle!
Why clean your makeup brushes consistently?
Wash your brushes at least once every 1-2 weeks to ensure that your brushes don't build up on bacteria.
- The longer you leave your brushes unwashed, the more the bacteria will multiply! If your brushes are caked on with bacteria, dirt, oil, and such - this will cause acne or bumps on your skin.
- What's on your brush will also go in your products. Makeup can be expensive, so why ruin them with dirty brushes!
- Having clean brushes to apply makeup with will give you a better application of your makeup. Caked on brushes won't blend as well and can make your makeup look muddy.
How to store your makeup brushes.
Storing your brushes in a brush holder or brush case will prevent the hairs from fraying.
Having the right care for your brushes can ensure your brushes last a lifetime!
Need new makeup brushes?
Check out our makeup brush collection here.